As I type this, I find myself thinking of my husband. Home Alone. With 3 kids! This time of the year is slow for his business, he is a sales recruiter. So, he decided to stay home with Jack (7), Kate (5), and Maryn (2). They are all on Winter Break from their respective schools and pre-school. Preschool has winter break? I know, right?! My husband is a college educated, business savvy, child rearing moron! This man can think of 10 ways to sell an ice cube to a penguin but is totally incompetent when it comes to figuring out how to entertain his kids. Please don't get me wrong...he is a great Dad. A great Dad! As long as we are doing something. Practicing sports, playing tag outside, building a fort, etc. But when it is 20 degrees outside at 11:00 am and he and the kids are bunkered in. Cabin Fever sets in and he loses it! This morning I gave him a list of 5 things he could do with the kids. I though it was pretty good and might be able to help out other idealess Dads:
1. Take the kids to a movie - At least it's not the same as just sticking the kids in front of the television. It's an outing and some bonding time.
2. Play some board games. Board games are a great way to interact with the kids and teach them sportsmanship and "game manners."
3. Hide and Seek. Is there a better game when you are a kid and your dad is "it!"
4. Write some thank you notes for the Holiday Gifts. Good way to teach the kids the etiquette of writing a simple note to say thanks when someone gives you a gift.
5. Go Bowling. Bowling is fun, easy, and cheap (especially during the week). Again, bonding experience.
There are a ton of other things that you can do to entertain kids during times at home. Your kids will thank you for it. I thought of one more....clean up before Mom gets home!!